You can create a sticker easily by simply turning off the background layer of your GIF's canvas, and exporting the same way you normally would using your editing software. Currently there is no way to turn a GIF into a Sticker using GIPHY.
Please note: Stickers that don't follow our recommended guidelines may not make it through our approval process. Learn more about the turnaround time for stickers moderation.
Here are some more specs and recommendations to make your stickers the best they can be!
- Stickers must move! The more animation, the better. Static stickers will not be approved.
- Stickers with only one or two frames will be regarded with more scrutiny than those that have more robust animation.
- Stickers must be exported with transparency - no white or colored background.
- Crop the canvas to fit the sticker. Stickers exported with too much empty space in the frame will appear very small when they are uploaded.
- Videos cropped into a circle or a square then exported with transparency will not qualify as a sticker.
- Stickers should not contain unnecessary borders or edges since the background is meant to be transparent.
- At least 20% of the first frame must be transparent to register as a sticker.
- The source file must be a GIF. We currently do not support APNG.
- RGB color mode is mandatory.
- There is no maximum file size; we will automatically resize the GIF on upload for uses in various contexts of our sticker API.
- You must set the GIF to loop "forever" before exporting.
Tips for Improving Sticker Quality
- Please be aware that the sticker quality may look different in various platform integrations. If a sticker appears grainy or pixelated in one integration, it may look clear in another. There are various reasons for this, but they are unfortunately out of our control. Always upload the highest quality sticker possible to GIPHY to ensure the best results possible.
- Crop the canvas before exporting to make sure the sticker is not floating in unused space. Stickers exported with a lot of unused canvas space will appear smaller when uploaded.
- Set the Matte to “none” before exporting to avoid the white halo effect, or set to black if the sticker has black outlines.
- GIFs can only have fully transparent or fully opaque pixels; ensure any semi-transparent pixels have been cleaned up around the edges of the sticker, or they will automatically become white.
- Do not try to compress the sticker before uploading. Our server will automatically do this for you, so no need to do it twice.
What Makes a Good Sticker?
- Easy to use in conversation.
- Appeal to a wide audience.
- Universal and easy to understand.
- Emotive and covering a wide range of expression.
- The more interesting the animation, the better the sticker.
- Timely and relevant.
- Colorful, unique, creative and fun!
- Useful as an overlay, like accessories or effects.
- Edges are smooth.
- No fine details that might get lost when the sticker is at its smallest size
- The best way to ensure top quality stickers is to hire a GIF artist! More info on that here!
- Stickers that don't move will be rejected.
- Stickers that are just videos cropped into a smaller circle, square, or other shape. Unlike the standardized four sides of a GIF file, stickers should not contain unnecessary borders or edges since the background is meant to be transparent.
- Stickers that barely move (blinking, shimmer, and slight shake effects included) may be rejected as well depending on the amount of animation.
- Stickers that are difficult to use in conversation.
- Stickers that have too many fine details.
- Stickers that lack variety (not enough variation of expression).
- Low quality, overly pixelated or blurry content.
- Stickers created expressly for personal use and are not relatable to a larger audience.
- Broken infinite loops. You must set the GIF to loop forever before exporting.
- A low frame count (image should not jump around or repeat quickly instead of playing smoothly)
- Violence, explicit or illegal imagery. These stickers will not be added to the search index.
- Stickers that violate our Community Guidelines in any manner including content interpreted as offensive or culturally insensitive. Uploading content of this nature may result in having your account suspended.