Last Updated: November 29, 2023
What Personal Data Do We Collect About You?
We collect Personal Data about you when you provide it directly to us, when third parties, such as our business partners or service providers, provide us with Personal Data about you, or when Personal Data about you is automatically collected in connection with your use of our Services. The Personal Data we gather enables us to improve, understand, and continue to operate our Services. In connection with certain aspects of our Services, we may request, collect and/or display some of your Personal Data. Below explains in greater detail the types of Personal Data that we collect about our users.
Personal Data You Provide to Us
If you create an Account, register for a brand or artist channel, register for a verified user profile, or have registered for Electric Objects, you will provide information that could be Personal Data, such as: your email address, username, password, and art preferences (for Electric Objects). You may also choose to provide additional Personal Data, including an avatar/profile picture, display name, contact name, information about yourself (including basic demographic information), a description of your channel, a brand parent company (brand or artist channel), location (brand or artist channel), your Giphy Channel URL (for verified user profile), attachments to your application (for verified user profile), and links to your website or social media profiles.
Additionally, if you register for or access our Services using a Third-Party Service (such as your social media account login credentials), we may receive Personal Data that you have made available to share through such Third-Party Service, such as your name and your email address. You acknowledge that this information may be personal to you, and by creating an Account and providing Personal Data to us, you allow others, including us, to identify you and therefore may not be anonymous. We may use your Account information to provide you with our Services and to send you communications about our Services.
Personal Data From Others
Personal Data Collected Automatically
We automatically receive and record Personal Data from your web browser or device when you interact with our Services, including when you search for, select, view, or receive a GIF.Information that we collect automatically includes your IP address, device ID, user query information, and cookie information. This information is used to enable us to deliver GIFs to you, to fight spam/malware, to improve the service, and to facilitate collection of Personal Data concerning your interaction with our Services (e.g., what links you have clicked on).
Generally, our Services automatically collect usage information, such as the number and frequency of visitors to the Site and our Services. We may use this data in aggregate form, for example, as a statistical measure or in other anonymous forms, but not in a manner that would identify you personally. This type of aggregate data enables both us and third parties authorized by us to determine how often individuals use parts of our Services so that we can analyze and improve them.
Information Collected Using Cookies
.• Most browsers have an option for turning off the cookie feature, which will prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, as well as (depending on the sophistication of your browser software) allowing you to decide on acceptance of each new cookie in a variety of ways. Leaving cookies active will enable us to improve your user experience and analyze website traffic. If you choose not to accept these cookies, some of the features of the Services may not work.
We collect statistical information about how both unregistered and registered users, collectively, use our Services (“Aggregate Information”). While some of this information is derived from Personal Data, the Aggregate Information itself is not Personal Data and cannot be tied back to you, your Account, or your web browser.
Personal Data of Children
As noted in the Terms of Service, we do not knowingly collect or solicit Personal Data from anyone under the age of 13. If you are under 13, please do not attempt to register for our Services or send any Personal Data about yourself to us. If we learn that we have collected Personal Data from a child under age 13, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that a child under 13 may have provided us Personal Data, please contact us at email@example.com.
In order to use the facial scan feature through our mobile application, you must first read through our “Facial Scan Consent” and grant us permission by selecting the “I Accept” button on your mobile device. We only use your facial scans in connection with your use of our Services in order to provide, personalize, and improve our Services for you. We don’t use your facial scans or any related facial data captured in the facial scans internally, and we don’t share your facial scans or any related facial data with other users or any other third parties. We also do not store your facial scans and related facial data. Please read our “Facial Scan Consent” to learn more about our facial scans feature.
How, and With Whom, Is My Personal Data Disclosed?
Our Services are designed to help you share information with others. As a result, some of the Personal Data generated through our Services is displayed publicly or disclosed to Third-Party Services. What Personal Data is disclosed depends on your privacy settings. Below further describes the ways in which we may disclose your information. We do not sell your Personal Data.
Publicly Displayed Data About You, and Your Activity on the Services
User profile and channel information that you choose to provide, including your username, contact name, GIFs you upload, information about yourself, your avatar/profile picture, a description of your channel, and links to your website or social media profiles, may be displayed to other users to facilitate user interaction within our Services. This information will be displayed to other users depending on your privacy settings. We will not directly reveal user email addresses to other users.
Please remember that if you choose to provide Personal Data using certain public features of our Services, then that information is governed by the privacy settings of those particular features and may be publicly available. Individuals reading such information may use or disclose it to other individuals or entities without our control and without your knowledge, and search engines may index that information. We therefore urge you to think carefully about including any specific information you may deem private in User Content that you create or information that you submit through our Services.
Personal Data Disclosed Through Third-Party Services
Personal Data Disclosed In Connection with Related Services
We also share Aggregate Information with our partners, service providers, and other persons with whom we conduct business. We share this data so that our partners can understand how and how often people use our Services and their services or websites, which facilitates improving both their services and how our Services interface with them. In addition, these third parties may share with us non-private, aggregated, or otherwise non-Personal Information about you that they have independently developed or acquired.
Personal Data Disclosed to Our Service Providers
Personal Data Disclosed Pursuant to a Change in Control or Sale
Personal Data Disclosed for Our Protection and the Protection of Others
What Choices Do I Have Regarding My Personal Data?
Access and Control Your Personal Data
.• If you are a registered user, you can access Personal Data associated with your Account by logging into our Services. Registered and unregistered users can access and delete cookies through their web browser settings.
.• You can use many of the features of our Services without registering, thereby limiting the type of Personal Data that we collect.
.• You can always opt not to provide certain Personal Data to us, but please note that such information may be needed to take advantage of some of our features.
.• You can opt-out of certain cookies and tracking technologies by following the steps set forth in the section titled “Information Collected Using Cookies” above.
• Your browser may offer you a “Do Not Track” or “DNT” option, which allows you to signal to operators of websites, web applications, and services that you do not wish such operators to track certain of your online activities over time and across different websites. We do not acknowledge this signal.
Delete Your Account
Should you ever decide to delete your Account, you may do so by following the instructions here. If you have trouble deleting your Account, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you terminate your Account, any association between your Account and Personal Data we store will no longer be accessible through your Account. However, given the nature of public display used on our Services, any public activity on your Account prior to deletion will remain stored on our servers and may remain accessible to the public.
How Long Do We Retain Your Personal Data?
We retain Personal Data about you for as long as you have an open Account with us or as otherwise necessary to provide you Services. In some cases, we retain Personal Data for longer, if doing so is necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes or collect fees owed, or is otherwise permitted or required by applicable law, rule, or regulation. Afterwards, we retain some information in a depersonalized or aggregated form, but not in a way that would identify you personally.
Is the Information About Me Secure?
Your Account information will be protected by a password for your privacy and security. You need to prevent unauthorized access to your Account and Personal Data by selecting and protecting your password appropriately and limiting access to your computer and browser by signing off after you have finished accessing your Account.
We seek to protect Account information to ensure that it is kept private; however, we cannot guarantee the security of any Account information. We store all of our Personal Data, including your IP address information, using industry-standard techniques. We do not guarantee or warrant that such techniques will prevent unauthorized access to information about you that we store, Personal Data or otherwise. Unauthorized entry or use, hardware or software failure, and other factors, may compromise the security of Personal Data at any time.
What If I Have Questions or Concerns?
If you have any questions or concerns regarding privacy using our Services, please send us a detailed message to email@example.com. We will make every effort to resolve your concerns.
EU or UK users
If you are located in the European Union (“EU”), United Kingdom, Lichtenstein, Norway, or Iceland, you may have additional rights under the EU or UK General Data Protection Regulation (the “GDPR”) with respect to your Personal Data, as outlined below.
We will only process your Personal Data if we have a lawful basis for doing so. Lawful bases for processing include consent, contractual necessity, and our “legitimate interests” or the legitimate interest of others, as further described below. The legal bases depend on the Services you use and how you use them.
Contractual Necessity: We process the following categories of Personal Data as a matter of “contractual necessity”, meaning that we need to process the data to perform under our Terms of Service with you, which enables us to provide you with our Services.
• IP Address
• Profile Data
• Device ID
• Cookie Data
When we process data due to contractual necessity, failure to provide such Personal Data will result in your inability to use some or all portions of our Services that require such data.
• Legitimate Interest: We process the following categories of Personal Data when we believe it furthers the legitimate interest of us or third parties (which is not overridden by your data protection interests):
• IP Address
• Profile Data
• Device ID
• Cookie Data
Examples of these legitimate interests include:
• Operation and improvement of our business, products, and services
• Marketing of our products and services
• Provision of user support
• Protection from fraud or security threats
• Compliance with legal obligations
• Completion of corporate transactions
• Consent: In some cases, including facial scans, we may process Personal Data based on the consent you expressly grant to us at the time we collect such data. When we process Personal Data based on your consent, it will be expressly indicated to you at the point and time of collection.
• Other Processing Grounds: From time to time, we may also need to process Personal Data to comply with a legal obligation, if it is necessary to protect the vital interests of you or other data subjects, or if it is necessary for a task carried out in the public interest.
• Personal Data of Children: We do not knowingly collect or solicit Personal Data from anyone under the age of 16. If you are under 16, please do not attempt to register for our Services or send any Personal Data about yourself to us. If we learn that we have collected Personal Data from a child under age 16, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that a child under 16 may have provided us Personal Data, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What Rights Do You Have Regarding Your Personal Data? You have certain rights with respect to your Personal Data, including those set forth below. For more information about these rights, or to submit a request, please email email@example.com. Please note that in some circumstances, we may not be able to fully comply with your request, such as if it is frivolous or extremely impractical, if it jeopardizes the rights of others, or if it is not required by law, but in those circumstances, we will still respond to notify you of such a decision. In some cases, we may also need you to provide us with additional information, which may include Personal Data, if necessary, to verify your identity and the nature of your request.
• Access: You can request more information about the Personal Data we hold about you and request a copy of such Personal Data.
Rectification: If you believe that any Personal Data we hold about you is incorrect or incomplete, you can request that we correct or supplement such data. You can also correct some of this information directly by updating any of the information contained in your user profile.
• Erasure: You can request that we erase some or all of your Personal Data from our systems.
• Withdrawal of Consent: If we are processing your Personal Data based on your consent (as indicated at the time of collection of such data), you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. Please note, however, that if you exercise this right, you may have to then provide express consent on a case-by-case basis for the use or disclosure of certain of your Personal Data, if such use or disclosure is necessary to enable you to utilize some or all of our Services.
.• Portability: You can ask for a copy of your Personal Data in a machine-readable format. You can also request that we transmit the data to another controller where technically feasible.
• Objection: You can contact us to let us know that you object to the further use or disclosure of your Personal Data for certain purposes.
• Restriction of Processing: You can ask us to restrict further processing of your Personal Data.
• Right to File Complaint: You have the right to lodge a complaint about Giphy’s practices with respect to your Personal Data with the supervisory authority of your country or EU Member State.
.• Transfers of Personal Data: Our Services are hosted and operated in the United States (“U.S.”) through Giphy and our service providers, and if you do not reside in the U.S., laws in the U.S. may differ from the laws where you reside. By using our Services, you acknowledge that any Personal Data about you, regardless of whether provided by you or obtained from a third party, is being provided to Giphy in the U.S. and will be hosted on U.S. servers, and you authorize us to transfer, store, and process your Personal Data to and in the U.S., and possibly other countries. Giphy is subject to the investigatory and enforcement powers of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Data Privacy Framework
Giphy complies with the EU-U.S. Data Privacy Framework set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use, and retention of Personal Data transferred from the EU to the U.S. Giphy has certified to the Department of Commerce that it adheres to the EU-U.S. Data Privacy Framework Principles of (1) notice, (2) consent, (3) accountability for onward transfer, (4) security, (5) data integrity and purpose limitation, (6) access and (7) recourse, enforcement and liability with respect to all Personal Data received from within the EU. The EU-U.S. Data Privacy Framework requires that we remain potentially liable if any third party that processes Personal Data on our behalf fails to comply with these EU-U.S. Data Privacy Framework (except to the extent we are not responsible for the event giving rise to any alleged damage). To learn more about the EU-U.S. Data Privacy Framework, please visit https://www.
What If You Have Questions Regarding Your Personal Data? If you have any questions about this section or our data practices generally, please contact us using the following information:
Name: Giphy, Inc.
Physical address: 416 West 13th Street, Suite 207
New York, NY 10014
Email address for contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Designated EU representative and contact information:
DP-Dock GmbH, Ballindamm 39, 20095 Hamburg
Tel.: +49 (0) 40 99999 – 3430
Mob.: +49 (0) 172 918 22 22
Designated UK representative and contact information
DP Data Protection Services UK Ltd.,
16 Great Queen Street, Covent Garden, London, WC2B 5AH, United Kingdom
Personal Data We Collect
Personal Data does not include: (a) publicly available information, including information made available from government records; or (b) deidentified information or aggregate consumer information. To the extent that we collect any deidentified information (as defined under U.S. Privacy Laws), we maintain it in deidentified form and do not attempt to reidentify it.
We obtain the categories of Personal Data listed in the “What Personal Data Do We Collect About You?” section above from the following categories of sources:
• Directly from you
• Indirectly when you use our services (e.g., via your web browser or device, or via cookies)
• From Third-Party Services (e.g., Facebook or Twitter)
• From Integration Partners (e.g., when you use our Services through another app or website, such as Snapchat, TikTok or Twitter)
Use of Personal Data
We may use the Personal Data we collect about you for the following purposes:
• To Improve, understand, personalize, and operate our Services
• To Promote the safety, integrity, and security of our Services
• To Communicate with you
• To Perform other business purposes
Disclosing Personal Information
Identifiers (such as name, IP address, and email address) with service providers that provide cloud computing, analytics, performance and availability monitoring, content moderation services, email marketing and messaging notification services, and with Third-Party Services that you used or otherwise interacted with.
• Internet and electronic network activity information (such as your interaction with our Services and related log data) with service providers that provide cloud computing, analytics, performance and availability monitoring, content moderation services, and with Third-Party Services that you used or otherwise interacted with.
• Geolocation data with service providers that provide cloud computing, analytics, performance and availability monitoring and content moderation services, and with Third-Party Services that you used or otherwise interacted with.
Depending on where you live and subject to certain exceptions, you may have rights in relation to your Personal Data, as outlined below.
• Right to Access/Know: You may request more information about the Personal Data we collect, use, or disclose, and request a copy of such Personal Data by emailing us at email@example.com. You can also access some of your Personal Data by logging on to your Account.
• Right to Correct: You may request that we correct inaccurate Personal Data that we maintain about you. You can make this request by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also access and correct some of your Personal Data by logging on to your Account.
• Right to Request Deletion: You may request that we delete the Personal Data that we have collected from you by emailing us at email@example.com. If you request that we delete your Personal Data, you may no longer be able to use our Services.
• Right to Non-Discrimination: We will not discriminate against you for exercising your privacy rights under the U.S. Privacy Laws.
To protect your Personal Data, we may need to verify your identity before processing your request to exercise your rights. In some cases, we may need to collect additional Personal Data to verify your identity, such as a government-issued ID.
Under the U.S. Privacy Laws, you may exercise these rights yourself or you may designate an authorized agent to make these requests on your behalf. We may request that your authorized agent have written permission from you to make requests on your behalf and may need to verify your authorized agent’s identity.
To submit a request to exercise your rights, and as applicable, to appeal a consumer rights action, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have questions about this section or how to exercise your rights, please contact us by emailing email@example.com.